Translate

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Serotonin - The lack of it - How to replace without Drugs

 Today I was (as I always am) on FB this morning to see what was up with everyone. So while on there I decided to write about how to replace serotonin in your brain and why you need to have it. Also what causes your brain to be low on serotonin.! 


I went outside this morning with my Hubby and walked to the Gas station to get some drinks. So by going outside not only did I get some Vitamin D from the sun I also got some exercise which helps your brain produce serotonin. Serotonin is a chemical your brain makes and it helps you to feel Happy!


If you want to learn more about the other chemicals "Neurotransmitters" that you need to feel good please do so as I will only be talking about Serotonin today.

Why is Serotonin so important to have? Well not only does it  keep you from becoming a emotional mess, it also controls how easily you can become angry, your appetite, and sleep. I have noticed all of these symptoms while going off of my anti-depressant.
  1.  I went to a class with my daughter and I don't even have to be talking about anything that would cause me to want to cry but without the extra serotonin that my medication would help produce I start crying while I am talking. Most people would think damn this lady is Crazy... and one lady gave me a hug and told me everything will be okay, and the other gave my daughter her cell number. This woman who gave my daughter her number totally understood me. She said her mother also was very emotional, I had listened to her story and this is why I knew she would understand me. This is why we stopped after the class to talk to her. 
  2. Without enough serotonin I tend to fly off the handle for no reason. It effects my household because they seem to be the ones who have to listen to me rant and rave. I know this isn't fair to them, not only does it cause them to lash out themselves but it causes them emotional stress too. I hate when I do this, but as the saying goes "You only hurt the ones you Love" boy oh boy how true is that saying.
  3. I tend to either want to just eat a bunch of junk food sometimes. Or my body  chooses to not want to eat anything. I have had both ends of this problem when it comes to my appetite. I remember when I was separated from the kids Dad that I went from 132 pounds to 104 pounds in a month. The only thing I seemed to do was Work, Dance, and Drink during this time. However I did drink soda and try and put something in my body during the day. Sometimes I would have to force myself to eat during this time in my life, I would maybe eat what add up to be maybe a forth of a sandwich for the whole day. Please if this happens to you please get help "Hind side is 20/20" as my Mother would say. At this time in my life I hadn't started taking any medication. Now I know that I needed some help.
  4. I either just wanted to sleep all day and not leave my bed. Or I would have the other side to it which is not being able to fall asleep.
What your body needs to help with Serotonin is Vitamin B6, "Serotonin is a natural brain chemical," says Nina Frusztajer, MD, co-author of The Serotonin Power Diet.http://serotoninpowerdiet.com/ "It is associated with reducing appetite — it balances mood and can give you a calm energy."

I will leave this for now and hope you have found this useful. Below you will find the other types of chemicals your brain produces.


Neurotransmitters 101

Neurotransmitters are the chemicals that allow communication to occur in the brain. Different neurotransmitters allow and/or produce different functions. We can link various thinking, feeling and behavioral actions and states to various transmitters. A partial list of neurotransmitters include:

  • Dopamine
  • Norepinephrine
  • Serotonin
  • GABA
  • Enkephalin

No comments:

Post a Comment